Graduate Studies & Research
1. Overall Requirements
All research involving human subjects under the jurisdiction of the Lebanese American University and its affiliates (LAU Medical Center - Rizk Hospital) must be submitted to the LAU Institutional Review Board (IRB) for review and approval prior to commencing the research. This page provides you with easy checklists and processes for submission. Please refer also to the Investigator’s Manual - Policies and Procedures.
LAU IRB does not review research conducted by non LAU/LAUMCRH personnel.
Please note the following critical points to be included in any research protocol for the IRB to assess
- Purpose and Rational of the study
- Targeted participant population and justification
- Sample size justification
- Manner of recruitment and informed consent
- Study procedures
- Anticipated risks and potential benefits to participants
- Steps taken to protect participants including management of adverse events.
2. LAU IRB Submission Checklist and Summary Presentation
The following information provides you with relevant information on what you need to submit as part of your LAU IRB Submission. For the Applications, Forms and Supporting Documents click here.
- IRB Submission Checklist for Faculty and Staff (click here)
- IRB Submission Checklist for Students (click here)
- IRB Submission Presentation (click here)
NB: If a study involves extramural funding such as external funding agencies or sponsors, clearance must be secured from the relevant department at LAUMC–RH / LAU before submission to the IRB. Please contact the IRB office for further details.
3. LAU IRB Submission process
4. LAU IRB Submission Fee Schedule
The IRB charges a fee for review of research studies involving human subjects for sponsored or funded research projects, as detailed below. Payment is expected independent of the IRB decision and is due within 30 days of receipt of invoice. For any questions, please contact the IRB office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Effective February 2011, the fee schedule for LAU IRB review is as follows:
|Initial Submission - Pharmaceutical Sponsored Studies||$1500 plus VAT|
|Annual Continuing Review Submission - Pharmaceutical Sponsored Studies||$500 plus VAT|
|Initial Submission - Extramural Funding Agencies||$200 plus VAT|
|Annual Continuing Review Submission - Extramural Funding Agencies||$50 plus VAT|
5. IRB Review Timelines - Summary Table
|Type of Review*||Timelines**||Required Application***|
Review will take at least 30-45 business days from date of submission
(complete submission must be at least 2 weeks prior to the next scheduled meeting)
|Expedited Review||Review will take 20 business days from date of submission||
|Exempt Review||Review will take up to 10 business days from date of submission||
* Detailed explanation for the different Types of Review can be found under Guidance Documents.
** Timelines noted are for complete submissions. If a submission is missing documents, the submission will be returned to the PI with clarifications. Timelines also vary if there are any major concerns to the project submitted.
*** All submissions must include a completed and signed application along with all required documents as noted at the beginning of each application.
*** Whenever required, all investigators on the application must complete and sign the Investigator Financial Disclosure Form.